Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
Our offices are closed to the public. You can still contact us online or over the phone, though it may take longer to get through. We're prioritising vulnerable people, such as those facing redundancy, and those in key worker roles.
Talk to someone for advice and support
Talking through your options is a great way to plan your next steps. Hackney Council offers a free service to help Hackney residents plan and develop their career and learning goals.
Work experience through paid work placements
Work placements allow you to try out a job, and are a great way to get a feel for types of work you might like while building your experience and network.
Hackney Council is taking part in the government’s kickstart scheme. We have created hundreds of paid six-month work placements in 2021 at the Council and with other employers across a range of sectors.
To access the scheme, you must be:
- Aged 16-24
- A Hackney resident, educated in Hackney or a Hackney care leaver
- Claiming Universal Credit (we can help you with this)
To find out more and register your interest, visit our Work Placements page.
You can also sign up for our kickstart information sessions.
“If you are a young person who is confused and unsure on what to do after education as I was, I would say a a placement is a good way to gain skills and experience as well as clarify what it is you do and do not want to do in the future.”Danyal, Work Placement Participant
Here are some other work placement schemes offered by partners:
- The STEP programme offers London Living Wage placements across cultural and creative sectors. Open to18-30 year olds from Hackney, Newham, Waltham Forest, and Tower Hamlets.
- Homerton NHS Trust offers work placements for 14-17 year olds.
- Well Grounded offer work placements and training in the specialty coffee industry.
Learn while you earn with apprenticeships
An apprenticeship combines paid work with study towards an accredited qualification. It’s a good option if you want to get started in the working world, as many don’t require you to have any prior experience.
Apprenticeships are available at the council and with other employers. You can view:
- information on the Council’s award-winning apprenticeship programme
- current apprenticeships with other local employers
“My apprenticeship has been nothing short of an amazing learning experience.”Micah, ICT Apprentice, Hackney Council
We also recommend looking on:
- Amazing Apprenticeships and National Apprenticeship Service for information and resources about apprenticeships.
- Find An Apprenticeship is a national service advertising apprenticeships.
- Not Going To Uni has information on alternatives to university for school and college leavers and advertises a range of apprenticeships.
Boost your skills and experience
Training and volunteering can help you by:
- developing and refining new skills
- letting you experience what it might be like in a certain role or sector
- enhancing your CV
- giving you the opportunity to meet new people and network
The Council offers a range of adult learning and training courses to help you gain new skills in areas like English, Maths, and computer skills.
We also recommend looking on:
- New City College for a wide range of courses at all levels
- BSix for courses in areas like Art & Design, Nursing, Business, ICT, and Sport at Levels 1-3.
- ELATT for courses in English, Maths, ESOL and digital skills from entry levels to Level 3.
- Spear Programme for 16-to-24-year-olds, offers remote coaching, training and support, with a focus on the challenges of Covid-19.
- Barts NHS Trust for pre-apprenticeship training for 16-29 year olds and access to jobs and apprenticeships.
- Flipside is an industry-led talent development programme in digital product design for unemployed or underemployed people aged 18-25 from Newham, Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Waltham Forest.
- Volunteer Centre Hackney for local Hackney volunteering
- Do It lists over 1m volunteering opportunities that are posted by volunteer centres, national/local charities and voluntary groups.
Workshops to help you prepare and explore
We provide workshops and sessions to help you prepare for job applications, interviews and explore career paths. From working on your CV, preparing for a job interview and advice, there is a workshop for everything.
Page last reviewed: November 16, 2020