At a glance
- MRS Independent Living
- £30,000 p/a (pro rata)
- Closing date
- 4 days a week
ABOUT MRS INDEPENDENT LIVING
We have been working since 1986 towards a society where everyone has a sense of control over their lives and the ability to stay independent, active and connected to the world around them.
Our mission is to provide practical help so that people who need support can live safely and well in their homes and communities. We work primarily with older people, people with disabilities and people confronting mental health challenges.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a Community Advice Worker to join the team. You should have a strong sense of social justice and be able to work together with people who have been marginalised and excluded due to trauma, racism and poverty. You will need to have previous experience of advice work and knowledge of welfare benefits and housing regulations. Most importantly, you will need to have a kind, empathetic and non-judgemental approach.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To work Side by Side with people who congregate in Gillett Square (in Dalston, Hackney) to assist them to access services and claim their entitlements.
MAIN DUTIES OF THE ROLE
- To undertake outreach with people who congregate at Gillett Square, in Dalston and their friends and family, and assist people to identify the help they want.
- To provide a friendly, open, accessible and wide-ranging service based on people’s self-identification of their needs.
- To provide direct assistance to people to access welfare benefits they are entitled to and to appeal against adverse decisions.
- To support people to access homelessness services and obtain more suitable housing.
- Where explicit consent is obtained, to advocate for and support people to use specialist services e.g. Migrant Resource Centre, Law Centre.
- To model the Side by Side approach of long-term, relationship-based support and contribute to developing the service model and specification.
- To build good working relationships with statutory and community-based services in order to keep up to date with service provision and to share the experience of Side by Side.
- To stay apprised of developments in legislation concerning benefits, housing and care.
- To feed learning and insight into local forums and networks to advocate for change and policy improvements.
- To contribute to building organisational capacity by facilitating learning opportunities for other staff and volunteers.
- To ensure confidentiality and data protection are observed at all times.
- To work within and adhere to the organisation’s policies and procedures, including the Diversity, Equality and Inclusion, Health and Safety and Safeguarding policies.
- Willingness to carry out street-based community outreach.
- Ability to successfully engage with people who have been socially excluded, including those whose behaviour may be viewed as challenging.
- Ability to work within a framework of respect for people determining for themselves the services they wish to work with and to, where possible, refer themselves.
- Knowledge of welfare rights and housing regulations and ability to develop a practical understanding of services provided.
- Ability to support people and enable them to successfully appeal against decisions which they believe are wrong or unjust.
- Ability to work in cooperation with partner organisations and to be flexible and respectful of their work.
- Understanding and experience of the practice of asset-based community development.
- Understanding of the effects of institutional racism and the ability to work effectively with people from diverse communities.
- Ability to support people to claim their rights and entitlements.
- Understanding of adult safeguarding issues and practice development.
- Willingness and ability to share knowledge and expertise to build organisational capacity.
- To assist in the development and presentation of applications and reports to funders.
To view the full job description, please click here –> MRS IL – Community Advice Worker JD
This role is based at – Dalston, Hackney. Based at Beechwood Road office of Hackney Cooperative Developments.