At a glance
- Hackney Council
- £24,279-£25,614 per year
- Closing date
- 36 hours a week
This is an apprenticeship within Finance, supporting various functions and teams during the accounting cycle.
The Apprentice will complete a rotation and will likely be based in Directorate Finance for 9 months, and then a rotation to Corporate Finance (or vice versa). You will support the finance team in providing a professional financial service to the Directorate. You will undertake a range of finance and accounting duties as required commensurate to experience including maintaining financial information, preparation and monitoring of budgets, closing of accounts, preparation of Government returns and claims and provision of financial advice to cost centre managers.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To work with the Service Accountants and cost centre managers to assist in ensuring that there are efficient and effective day-to-day financial management controls.
- To work with the Service Accountants in ensuring that accounting arrangements in respect of the Directorate are carried out in accordance with legislative requirements, proper accounting practice and Council policy.
- To assist in the preparation of statutory and CIPFA returns as appropriate.
- To assist in the preparation of the monthly budget monitoring information for the Directorate in a manner and format as instructed by the Service Accountants.
- To assist with the preparation and management of the Directorate’s annual budget.
For the full job description click here.
- For this Apprenticeship, the minimum age is 18 (There is no upper age limit for our apprenticeships)
You must have at least one of the below links to the borough:
- You are a current resident of the London Borough of Hackney
- You are a current student at a Hackney education institution (school, college, university, PRU/alternative provision, Adult Learning provision)
- You are a former student at a Hackney secondary education institution and completed at least one GCSE or equivalent Level 2 qualification there
- You are a current or former recipient of Hackney leaving care services.
NB – we will ask for proof of your link to the borough (e.g. proof of address, school/college registration/certificates)
- You must hold a British or EEA passport or have permission from the UK government to live in
the UK AND have been resident in the UK or EEA for at least the last three years AND have the right to work for the duration of the apprenticeship.
To achieve this Apprenticeship qualification, you will need to already hold both:
- At least a Level 2 or GCSE A*-C / 4-9 in maths and English
- A Level 3 AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting or Level 3 Assistant Accountant Apprenticeship
You will not be eligible for the apprenticeship if you already hold a finance or accounting related qualification at level 4 or above.
In addition to the requirements listed below, all jobs at Hackney Council demand a satisfactory and reliable level of
attendance, good time-keeping, good work performance, conduct and behaviour.
We are looking for people who will demonstrate the following:
- Adaptable and polite communication skills, both written and verbal as you will be working with officers at various management levels.
- Numeracy skills, ability to interpret and communicate mathematical information to solve real-world problems. These include the ability to understand basic math like addition, subtraction, division and multiplication.
- The diversity of Hackney as a borough.
- The role of a local authority.
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
For the full person specification click here.
There will be a number of questions relating to the post on the application form. It is essential that you complete the application questions, responding to each using examples of your skills, knowledge and experience and relate them to the job description. Please take your time and answer these questions as fully as you can. This may make the difference between getting an interview or not.
You do not need to upload a CV.
Closing date for applications: Sunday 27 June 2021
Assessment Session: 13- 15 July 2021
All eligible applicants will be invited to attend an assessment session where you will be asked to participate in group activities. This will allow the team to assess your suitability for the role and decide if you are shortlisted for the next stage.
You must be able to attend this session, to progress to the next stage.
The Council has a dedicated employment support service (Hackney Works), which offers Hackney residents guidance in relation to applying for jobs. If you are thinking about applying for a job, please contact the Hackney Works team to find out what support is available: Hackneyworksinfo@hackney.gov.uk