At a glance
- Studio Wayne McGregor
- £27,000-£33,000 per annum
- Closing date
- Full Time
ABOUT STUDIO WAYNE McGREGOR
Studio Wayne McGregor is the creative engine for choreographer and director Wayne McGregor, and the home of his life-long choreographic enquiry into thinking through and with the body. It describes the dynamic team of individuals and resources that supports his vision, and comprises dance artists, writers, composers, film-makers, visual artists, scientists, designers, architects, stage technicians, software engineers, administrators and producers who form his collaborative network.
In 2017 we opened an inspiring new arts space at Here East in Queen Elizabeth Park. Part of a new technological and creative community re-imagining the cultural landscape of east London, it comprises three extraordinary studio spaces, hosting all of McGregor’s creative work and collaborations alongside artist development and creative learning programmes based on the trading of space, time and skills.
We are creative, curious and ambitious, with collaboration, inclusion, diversity, sharing and generosity at our centre. We aspire to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and do their best work. We strive to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the individual voices of our team and reflects the communities we work with.
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
Studio Wayne McGregor are looking for a Studio Operations Manager to join the team, overseeing all operational activity of our world class dance Studio. The right candidate will be a bright, enthusiastic and communicative person, with a positive attitude and a passion for building management. The position encompasses a variety of responsibilities, with opportunities to develop managerial skills and grow operational expertise.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
- To ensure the smooth and effective day to day running of Studio Wayne McGregor, including management of the Studio Team.
- To oversee all operational activity of the building including health and safety compliance.
- To manage all building maintenance and ensure presentation of the spaces are maintained to a high standard.
- Ensure that the building is maintained to the highest possible standards at all times and that the building infrastructure, fabric and equipment are robustly protected and cared for.
- Ensure all studio spaces are tidy, organised and well maintained to the highest standard, in line with SWM branding.
- Manage Studio Health & Safety Policy and ensure compliance with all health & safety, licensing and fire regulations within the building at all times holding – monthly meetings with Jaguar.
- Responsible for the management and maintenance of security and access controls – ensure all team members have their own login.
- Maintain a key log for the building and inventory.
- Manage all external contractors carrying out reactive and planned maintenance of all assets.
- Responsible for all statutory inspections and licenses and ensure they are kept up to date – action: spreadsheet to be made.
- Management of the Housekeeping contract, ensuring quality of service provision, value for money, and re-tendering as appropriate.
- Manage and update Fire risk assessment & Office Risk assessment and oversee day-to-day management of Fire and Building risk assessment.
- Act as designated Fire Warden, keep up with training and oversee training for the SWM team.
- Maintain ‘Emergency First Aid at Work’ qualification to act as designated First Aider when needed and oversee training needs elsewhere in the team.
- In conjunction with the Administrator, overseeing all internal office systems such as phones, voicemail, IT, Manage DSE training & workplace assessments for all staff.
- Ensuring the building follows the environmental policies set out by the Environmental Working Group.
- Manage the scheduling of activity at Studio Wayne McGregor – Wayne McGregor, Company Wayne McGregor, FreeSpace and any future programming.
- Supporting the E&H Manager with Events and execution of hires, collaborate on staffing.
- Oversee a safe, healthy, and secure working environment throughout the building.
- Ensure any operational and housekeeping tasks are carried out as planned and to a high standard.
- Provide out of hours management support if/when required.
- Be the face of the Studio, assist with any enquiries and divert rental enquiries to the E&H Manager.
- Leading on all Studio related policy and ensuring it contributes to a healthy studio environment.
- Representing the studio at events and hosting VIP tours and activities.
- Cultivating, maintaining and building new stakeholder relationships, acting as an ambassador to the studio – local council, local community, Here East campus, Hackney Wick CIG.
- Work with E&H Manager to create, implement & continually adjust a strategic plan for the Studio.
- Continuously striving for new purposes for spaces, generating new ideas for newn uses and ensuring the Studio always feels energised.
Studio Team Personnel
- Overseeing training new starter inductions, gather availability, manage all rotas and time sheets including monthly sign off.
- Implement robust organisational systems to make these processes efficient and error free.
- Overseeing all pastoral care and professional development for the Studio Team.
- In collaboration with the admin team, head up all Studio Team recruitment.
- Oversee day to day management of building by Studio Assistants.
- Manage adequate staffing for effective building operation within a budget, including out of hours access.
- Collaborate with E&H Manager to ensure adequate staffing for events and hires.
- Holding monthly/weekly check ins with Studio Team members.
- Delegating tasks to the Studio Team appropriately, on behalf on other departments.
- Approve Studio Team holidays, record sickness, manage lateness and performance reviews.
- Model appropriate behaviours, monitor performances and ensure standards are met.
- Ensure Studio team email accounts are organised and well managed.
- Act as the main point of contact with Here East, maintaining key relationships and providing day-to-day contact with Here East Complex teams to ensure the smooth running of the building; Jaguar, JCP and Security.
- Utilities – signing off invoices, checking meterage/back up statements, keeping up to date with Here East’s main electricity supplier contract.
- Issuing passes for parking and security access to the building.
- Oversee issuing of keys, fobs & ID’s to staff.
- Act as a bridge between SWM and Here East, forwarding events and opportunities to the SWM team.
- Overseeing the Operations budget, holding reconciliation meetings with the Finance Manager.
- Managing lines such as Utilities, Ad Hoc Maintenance costs, decorating.
- Managing best value for money from suppliers and re-tendering as appropriate.
- Processing invoices and following SWM finance procedures.
- Regular liaison with E&H Manager to ensure targets are being met.
- Be an active member of the Environmental Working Group, direct the rotating chair and feed in resources and ensure completion of Julie’s bicycle reporting.
- Support best practice and culture around management development and support annual appraisals.
- Contribute to ACE reporting for quarterly board meeting around investment principals and audience data.
- Experience of studio, venue or building management with an operational focus.
- Experience of maintenance and facility management.
- An eye for detail and high standards of presentation.
- Excellent financial literacy and proven experience of managing budgets.
- A reliable, hardworking, personable, and unflappable nature.
- Excellent people skills and an ability to hold relationships with internal and external partners.
- A self-starter, with the ability to take the initiative and work independently, collaboratively, and autonomously.
- An understanding of Studio Wayne McGregor and a passion for dance.
- Experience of leading a team.
Working hours: 5 days per week 10am – 6pm across Monday to Friday, but some evening and weekend work may be required.
This position is based at – Studio Wayne McGregor, Broadcast Centre, Here East, 10 East Bay Lane, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London E15 2GW.